Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1936 and has steadily grown to become Dunedin’s only private surgical hospital, and with associated private clinics. Baker Garden Architects from Dunedin were principal consultants, and CCM assisted them with the Health planning and design and detailing of all specialist areas.
The hospital is set in a mature garden setting in one of Dunedin’s long established suburbs, Maori Hill. The project was to radically reorganise the layouts of theatres, and support facilities along with addition of a Short Stay unit and additional cardiac theatre. Efficiencies in both staffing and operational costs were to be sought through the replanning the extensions proposed.
A new two storey addition was added to accommodate the Day Procedures Unit and remodelled ward above; the CSSD was fully remodelled and extended, and a new wing added to accommodate the new state of art Cardiac Theatre and support facilities. Internally, the new facilities are patient focused, light filled and welcoming. Externally, the materials blend with the existing retained hospital, and historic Marinoto House which is immediately adjacent.