Te Hopai Home and Hospital

The Te Hopai Home was established in 1888 and was the first home for the aged in Wellington.

In 2008 as part of a 5 year development plan CCM Architects were engaged to design a new dementia unit, plus the upgrade of commercial facilities and reorganisation of the hospital accommodation. This brought the total number of beds to 104.


Full project info

In 2008 as part of a 5 year development plan CCM Architects were engaged to design a new dementia unit, plus the upgrade of commercial facilities and reorganisation of the hospital accommodation. This brought the total number of beds to 104.

Subsequently, CCM was involved in the planning of additional accommodation for a further 80 residents, a full new kitchen and its associated servicing, and the conversion of some parts to psycho geriatric care.

In 2012 the new Te Hopai Home and Hospital building was designed with low damage technology incorporated, so that in the event of a major earthquake it remains functional and can continue to serve the needs of the residents. This has been achieved using an advanced Precast Seismic System (PRESSS) passing through two levels.

The two story extension of 47 en-suite bedrooms has its own entry, reception and carpark which is accessed through Owen Street. Each floor has its own resident lounge areas, nursing support facilities and expansive views over Newtown and toward the Town Belt.

The building is connected via new lifts and stairs to the existing 104 bed home on Hospital Road. A full new commercial kitchen is included within the development and will provide meals for all residents at Te Hopai.

All resident rooms have full cover removable ceiling hoists eliminating unnecessary lifting by care staff and resident risk when being moved.

The project was completed in 2015 and the project value was $9m.

Facebook

© CCM Architects 2019